Palestina blir observatørstat i FN
Posted by Fredsvenn den november 29, 2012
Torsdag vil den palestinske presidenten Mahmoud Abbas legge søknaden fram for FNs generalforsamling. Frankrike, Danmark og Spania har sagt at det palestinske forslaget kommer til å få deres støtte. Det har også Portugal, Sveits og Østerrike gjort, mens EU ikke har klart å komme til en felles holdning i denne saken. Det er ventet at Tyskland vil stemme mot. Det er ventet at rundt 150 av de 193 medlemslandene vil stemme for.
Fakkelmarkering av Den internasjonale solidaritetsdagen for det palestinske folket torsdag 29.november kl. 17.00 foran Stortinget!
In hours, the UN will face a historic vote on Palestinian statehood. While extremists in Israel and Gaza killed civilians on both sides last week, responsible leaders backed this peace initiative, and it needs our help to win.
UN recognition of Palestine could help end 40 years of repression and lead to two states — Israel and Palestine — living in peace and security side by side. 1.6 million of us have signed on and helped get over 100 countries to support the bid! But Israel’s far-right government is lobbying hard and many countries are still on the fence.
Heads of state are deciding right now. Our petition is already being widely covered in the media and delivered through actions like a 4 storey-high flag (above) in front of key government buildings. Sign and let’s get to 2 million voices for a freedom and peace that the Palestinian people have not known for a generation!
Here are some talking points on why the Palestinian bid at the UN General Assembly is our best chance for peace. Please use them as a guide when you call or write your message:
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH
- there has already been decades of occupation and repression by Israel of the Palestinian people
- for years the US and Israel have held peace hostage to processes that have only led to more illegal colonisation of palestinian lands
- the US and Israel should not get away with bullying the rest of the world to vote ‘no’ to what is morally and strategically right
THIS IS THE ONLY PATH TO PEACE
- currently there is not even a peace process in play
- this is a new chance to balance the equation and kick start a new path towards freedom and peace
- if the bid fails, we may have decades more of violence and extremists will win more ground
SUPPORT THE WORLD VOTE
- it is time for Palestine – this is a legitimate, non-violent, diplomatic proposal that deserves Europe’s full support
- the UN, World Bank and IMF say that the Palestinians are ready to run their own state
- majorities of people across Europe and 2/3rds of world leaders already support Palestine statehood
Remember to be polite — we’ll be far more convincing if we are reasonable and courteous.
As a concerned citizen, I urge you to stand on the right side of history in the face of Israeli and US pressure, and support the Palestinian resolution at United Nations General Assembly. It is the best path to peace and freedom and the public wants it. Now is the time for Palestine.
To European leaders and all UN member states:
We urge you to endorse the legitimate bid for recognition of the state of Palestine and the reaffirmation of the rights of the Palestinian people. It is time to turn the tide on decades of failed peace talks, end the occupation and move towards peace based on two states.
If you have already signed the petition – Send a message to EU leaders by email or social media.
BREAKING: Join the Palestine celebration
Today’s a HUGE day — most countries are going to vote ‘yes’ and Palestine will become the world’s 194th nation at the United Nations. But there’s a real risk that the media might not give this incredible event the coverage it deserves. If this happens, this important step towards peace might lose its power. Let’s make sure the media sees people the world over celebrating this historic day.
Here’s how — we flood Facebook and Twitter with messages of support and solidarity with the Palestinian people.
If you’re not on Twitter, post a photo of yourself on Facebook making a peace sign with the number «194» written on your wrist like this:
Journalists love to report about trending topics on twitter and viral facebook actions — let’s create a mega-storm of support, love, and solidarity for our Palestinian brothers and sisters who have waited decades for this day to come. Tweet now and upload a photo to Facebook!