Click below to join a live, global, multilingual (with instant translation!) discussion and brainstorm
Posted by Fredsvenn den januar 11, 2013
Happy New Year!! It’s going to be a big one.
Democracy is on the march across the world, and our community is at the heart of the struggle, but to win we’re going to need to choose our course wisely. Click below to join a live, global, multilingual (with instant translation!) discussion and brainstorm of our entire community, and take our annual all-member poll to guide our choices in 2013:
It’s an amazing thing to be able to share ideas with people all across the planet, and even across all language barriers. Some of us will monitor the brainstorm and use it to adjust the polling questions. You don’t need to participate in the discussion, and can skip straight to the poll if you like.
If you don’t have time to participate, you can see the results of the poll as they come in here:
Last year we ran hundreds of campaigns and played a key role in dozens of victories, including:
- Pushing UN member states to vote overwhelmingly for Palestine to become the world’s 194th state!
- Lobbying Europe to stop ACTA, the global treaty that would have let corporations censor our internet worldwide
- Putting a wrench in Media-Mogul Rupert Murdoch’s march to world domination by lobbying the UK to block the biggest deal of his career
- Mounting a major citizen journalism effort to keep the world engaged in Syria and prevent the brutal crackdown from succeeding
- Helping change the tragic Taliban shooting of Pakistan’s young education activist, Malala, into a stipend programme putting millions of poor children in school
- Campaigning with partners in Brazil to silence the Amazon chainsaws
- Fighting back against the Gay Death Penalty Bill in Uganda
- Getting the major media to report on deadly Russian arms shipments to the Syrian regime
- Getting a major construction company in Bahrain to free almost 100 trapped workers from India
- Working with over 20,000 Avaaz members all around the world who launched their own campaigns on the new Community Petition tool, and piloting our new people powered media site — the Avaaz Daily Briefing!
..and much, much more.
With the world undergoing profound change, and our community at almost twice the size it was last January — 17.4 million and growing, imagine what this year’s list could look like. The challenges may be coming fast and strong, but when we stick together, we can transform them into opportunities to build the world we all dream of. Here’s to building dreams in 2013.
Ricken, Joseph, Caroline, Christoph, Emma and the rest of the Avaaz team